As we travel through life we learn that relationships and friendships will come and go, but there is one relationship that will always stand, and that is the relationship we have with ourselves.
In a society that values martyrdom and selflessness above everything else, the notion of self-love may be considered a rebellious act. Loving yourself though is not selfish, in fact, it is incredibly important to our emotional, spiritual, social and physical wellbeing.
We aren’t giving other people the best version of ourselves when we come from a place of fear, doubt or guilt so being kind to ourselves is a first step to being kind to everybody else.
The use of positive affirmations can help to remind us of this. It can help us to reflect, turn inward and see that we do deserve the same care and love we put out into the universe.
Here are 51 self-love quotes to keep your vibes high and heart full!
1. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” – Lucille Ball
2. “You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.” – Buddha
3. “Embrace the glorious mess that you are.” – Elizabeth Gilbert.
4. “Self-love has very little to do with how you feel about your outer self. It’s about accepting all of yourself.” – Tyra Banks
5. “Self-love is really a foundation for everything, and however, you practice or express that is so, so important.” – Solange Knowles
6. “How you love yourself is how you teach others to love you.” – Rupi Kaur
7. “It’s time to love yourself, respect yourself, admire yourself, forgive yourself, accept yourself, nurture yourself. Today’s the day.” – Lauryn Hoover
8. “Fall in love with taking care of yourself. Fall in love with the path of deep healing. Fall in love with the best version of yourself but with patience, with compassion and respect for your own journey.” – S.Mcnutt
9. “The only one who gets to decide your worth is you. It doesn’t come from your bank account or the number of friends you have. It doesn’t come from what someone else says you are worth. It’s called self worth for a reason- it comes from you. It comes from being yourself and being proud of who you are. It comes from being someone that you can count on and someone you love.” – Nikki Banas
10. “Stay close to people who feel like sunlight.” -Xan Oku
11. “Life is too short to spend another day at war with yourself.” – Ritu Ghatourey
12. “Eat like you love yourself. Move like you love yourself. Speak like you love yourself. Act like you love yourself.” – Tara Stiles
13. “I have the courage to be the happiest, healthiest version of myself.” – Madi Baulch
14. “Love yourself. Be clear on how you want to be treated. Know your worth. Always.” Maryam Hasnaa
15. “Sometimes we feel guilty because the person we once were isn’t who we are now. When we evolve we move out of alignment with certain people around us. Stand proud in who you are. Honour your growth. The people who are meant to be in your life will support you.” – Ash Alves
16. “You carry so much love in your heart. Give some to yourself.” – R.Z.
17. “If you have the ability to love, love yourself first.” – Charles Bukowski
18. “You might feel worthless to one person, but you are priceless to another. Don’t ever forget your value.” – Ana Leon
19. “You have what it takes. You are strong enough. You are brave enough. You are capable enough. You are worthy enough. It’s time to stop thinking otherwise and start believing in yourself because no one else has the dreams that you have. No one else sees the world exactly like you do, and no one else holds the same magic inside. It’s time to start believing in the power of your dreams, my beautiful friend. Not next year, not next month, not tomorrow, but now. You are ready. You are enough.” – Nikki Banas
20. “You kinda owe it to yourself to do all the things you’ve dreamed” – Skyla Design
21. “In moments of insecurity remind yourself that you are beautiful, capable and intelligent because you are. You really are.” – Unknown
22. “Calm your mind darling, you’re on no one’s journey but your own. Peace yourself and live your life the way you want to. Don’t let anyone else idea of success make you feel that you’ve chosen the wrong path. Your journey may look different to anyone else’s, but it’s yours.” – Unknown
23. “The more you love yourself, the less nonsense you’ll tolerate.” – Unknown
24. “I forget how to love myself most days, but I keep trying. I keep trying and that alone is a victory.” – Alison Malee
25. “There will be moments in life when showing up for yourself will mean leaving behind the people who don’t.” – Alex Elle
26. “Talk to yourself like you would to someone you love..” – Brene Brown
27. “Don’t be afraid to lose people. Be afraid of losing yourself trying to please everyone around you.”- Unknown
28. “You are worth the quiet moment, you are worth the deeper breath. You are worth the time it takes to slow down, be still and rest.” – MHN
29. “An empty latern provides no light. Self-care is the fuel that allows your light to shine brightly.” – Unknown
30. “Strong women don’t have attitudes, they have standards.” – Zain Ali
31. “True self care is not bath salts and chocolate cake, it’s making the choice to build a life you don’t need to escape from.” – Brianna Wiest
32. “Because one believes in oneself, one doesn’t try to convince others. Because one is content with oneself, one doesn’t need others’ approval. Because one accepts oneself, the whole world accepts him or her.” – Lao Tzu
33. “Reminder that Winnie the Pooh wore a crop top with no pants and ate his favourite food and loved himself, so you can too.” – Unknown
34. “It’s not enough to just hope for a happy and healthy life; it’s a combination of mindset, routines, and habits working together that will get you there.” – Robyn Conley Downs
35. “It’s not selfish to love yourself, take care of yourself & to make your happiness a priority. It’s necessary.” – Mandy Hale
36. “Be loud about the things that are important to you” – Karen Walrond
37. “Keep taking time for yourself until you are you again.” – Lalah Delia
38. “You cannot control how others feel about you, you cannot control if other people like you, you can simply be the best version of yourself.” – Alicia Menendez
39. “Rest and self care are so important. When you take time to replenish your spirit, it allows you to serve others from the overflow. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” – Eleanor Brown
40. “Perhaps the biggest mistake I made in the past was that I believed love was about finding the right person. In reality, love is about becoming the right person. Don’t look for the person you want to spend your life with. Become the person you want to spend your life with.” – Neil Strauss
41. “Transformation isn’t about adding more work to your life; it’s about shifting your perspective so life becomes more fun, magical and joyful.” – Sheri Salata
42. “Take time off. The world will not fall apart without you.” – Malebo Sephodi
43. “Exist to be happy, not to impress.” – Richard Bach
44. “The one who falls and gets up is stronger than the one who never tried. Do not fear failure but rather fear not trying.” – Roy. T. Bennett
45. “One life. Just one. Why aren’t we running like we are on fire towards our wildest dreams?” – Unknown
46. “You have to work really hard to believe in yourself and stay committed to your dream, especially when things get scary and the insecurites and doubt come a knocking.” – Blake Blankenbecler
47. “Invest in your energy, invest in yourself, invest in your vitality for life.” – Robyn Conley Downs
48. “Feel what you need to feel and then let it go. Do not let it consume you.” – Dhiman
49. “For what it’s worth it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and that if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start over.” – F Scott Fitzgerald
50. “Write your story. Whenever you need, close the pages and begin a new chapter. Scratch out the things that don’t belong. Write in more of the things that bring you joy. Dream of your future and start writing the adventure towards it. Write your story because you are the only one who can. Write it with passion, write it with love. Write a good one.” – Nikki Banas
51.“If you can’t love yourself how in the hell are you gonna love somebody else?” – Muva Ru (RuPaul)
No matter where you are in life, when shit gets messy and chaotic, whether you make mistakes or you are blissful and happy. Embrace it all!
There is such beauty and power in your struggle. This is why self-love is so important!
You are one of a kind and you deserve, your love more than anyone else, Babe.